Published on 4 November 2020, the latest HSE statistics on work-related health and safety in Great Britain include the following key annual figures (2019/20):
- 1.6 million working people suffering from work-related ill health
- 2,446 mesothelioma deaths due to past asbestos exposures (2018)
- 111 workers killed at work
- 0.7 million injuries occurred at work according to the Labour Force Survey
- 65,427 injuries to employees reported under RIDDOR
- 38.8 million working days lost due to work-related ill health and workplace injury
- £16.2 billion estimated cost of injuries and ill health from current working conditions (2018/19)
The statistics show that Great Britain is still one of the safest places in the world to work with the lowest number of deaths on record.
However, more than half of Britain’s working days lost in 2019/20 were due to mental ill health.